Decreto-Lei n.º 252/94
- Emissor:Presidência do Conselho de Ministros
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:6374 - 6376
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law introduces into the Portuguese law the European rules regarding the legal protection of computer programs.
To the computer programs with a creative nature is assigned a protection similar to the literary works.
The authorship and ownership of the copyright
- A program created in a company is deemed as a collective work;
- When a computer program is created by an employee exercising his/her functions, or following the instructions of a work concessionary, the program’s beneficiary holds all related rights.
The duration of the program’s right:
- The right assigned to the intellectual creator expires 50 years after his/her death;
- The program’s protection period originally assigned to other entities expires 50 years after the program’s first publication or communication to the public.
The program’s owner may authorize:
- The continuous or temporary reproduction of the whole or part of the program;
- Any transformation of the program and its reproduction.
- The legitimate user of a program may always use it or correct errors, upload, view, run, transfer and store it.
The holder of the user license or any other authorized individual may legitimately alter the program, if the information is not yet available.
The owner of the computer program is entitled to put into circulation originals or copies of such program and the right to lease (rent) the samples.
When does it enter into force?
This decree-law entered into force on 25 October 1994.