Decreto-Lei n.º 66/2019
- Emissor:Presidência do Conselho de Ministros
- Entidade Proponente:Ambiente e Transição Energética
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:2526 - 2530
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law amends the rules regarding the execution of maintenance, rehabilitation and demolition works imposed or carried out by the City Council when the owners do not comply with their duty.
What is going to change?
The notifications to the properties’ owners may now be carried out through a public notice, to be fixed at the property.
Until now, the notifications were carried out via post (registered letter, sent up to seven days in advance).
However, sometimes it is not possible to notify the owner via post (it happens when their identity and location are unknown).
The notification contains the urgent measures to be taken and the deadline to comply with.
Therefore, the owners are notified:
- of the decision to impose the execution of necessary works to ensure the property’s good conservation status - the City Council may decide the execution of works when the living and people and good’s security conditions are not observed.
- of the inspection to the property - which must be carried out before the decision to execute the works;
- of the property’s possession, by the City Council, for it to carry out the necessary works - it occurs when the property’s owner does not execute the required works or does not comply with the deadline for their completion.
The works determined by the City Council are subject to prior notice to ensure that their execution correspond, regarding the extent and deadline, to the City Council’s requirements.
The City Council may opt for the forced lease instead of requesting the recovery of the debt.
The expenses spent on the work’s execution and the costs with the resettlement of the tenants will be borne by the owner (who must voluntarily pay within 20 days).
In the case of non-payment, the City Council may opt to receive the rents which would be paid to the owner, during the period under the City Council’s responsibility.
What advantages does it bring?
- Ensures the execution of the necessary works for the correction of the buildings’ poor safety conditions, when the owners do not comply with their duty;
- Allows to improve the buildings’ conditions, fighting against the houses’ degradation and promoting increasingly better life conditions to the citizens.
When does it enter into force?
This decree-law enters into force 30 days following its publication.