Decreto-Lei n.º 21/2019
- Emissor:Presidência do Conselho de Ministros
- Entidade Proponente:Administração Interna
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:674 - 749
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law puts into practice the transfer of powers from the central administration to the municipalities, on the domain of education, just as provided by law.
The National Assembly decided, upon Government decision, to transfer powers from the State to the local autarchies and municipal entities. In order to put this into practice, it is necessary that decree-laws like this one establish in detail how it shall be executed.
What is going to change?
The municipalities now hold the powers to manage the schools’ operation within the scope of mandatory education (from 6 to 18 years old), namely:
- The maintenance and improvement of the school buildings, investment in new equipment and adjudication of external services;
- The development of an academic social action, ensuring several benefits;
- The delivery of school meals to all students;
- The organization of the school transports for all students;
- The management of the transferred students’ accommodation, through school residences or the placement of students with foster families;
- The selection of non-teaching staff at all educational levels;
- The guarantee of a full-time school, through entertainment activities and family support for children in pre-school, and the family support and extra-curricular activities’ elements for 1st grade students;
- The management of the school spaces outside the class and school activities period;
The municipalities now hold the power to organize the supervision and safety of educational equipment, together with the security forces and the schools’ administration.
The rules and the funding means of the powers transferred to the municipalities are revised.
A committee which assists the evolution of the powers transferred is created in each municipality.
What advantages does it bring?
This decree-law, by broadening the municipalities’ activity within the scope of education, reinforces the decentralization and brings the State closer to the citizens.
It considers the educational independency of the grouped and non-grouped schools and the correspondent participation of the teachers on the educational process.
When does it enter into force?
This decree-law takes effect on 1 January 2019.
The municipalities which want to postpone the transfer of powers to 2019 shall inform the General-Directorate of Local Autarchies up until 30 April.