Decreto-Lei n.º 66/2018
- Emissor:Presidência do Conselho de Ministros
- Entidade Proponente:Ciência, Tecnologia e Ensino Superior
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:4182 - 4188
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law defines new rules for the recognition of foreign academic degrees and higher education diplomas in Portugal.
The recognition of foreign academic degrees and higher education diplomas is a procedure that recognises their equivalence to Portuguese academic degrees and diplomas, giving their holders the same rights as those who obtained them in Portugal.
What will change?
The recognition of foreign qualifications will be standardised
Foreign academic degrees and diplomas will be recognised through fairer, simpler and more transparent procedures.
1. The academic degrees that can be recognised by polytechnic higher education institutions will be clarified.
2. The number of foreign academic degrees and diplomas that can be recognised in Portugal will increase. For example, it will be possible to recognise higher education diplomas from courses that do not qualify for an academic degree, as long as they have the same level, goals, and quality as professional higher education technical courses.
3. There will be simplified procedures for the recognition of foreign academic degrees and diplomas. In the case of level recognition, there will be a priority system that ensures greater automaticity based on previous scientific assessments made by the same institution.
4. The maximum legal deadline for recognition decisions will be reduced to 90 days.
What are its benefits?
This decree-law is intended to make Portugal more appealing to international workers with qualifications obtained abroad and to allow them to continue their studies here, benefiting from the existing educational expertise in Portuguese higher education.
When does it come into effect?
This decree-law comes into effect on 1 January 2019 and will only apply to requests submitted after that date.
The recognition of foreign academic degrees and higher education diplomas prior to this decree-law will not be affected by the new rules and will maintain its validity.