Decreto-Lei n.º 65/2018
- Emissor:Presidência do Conselho de Ministros
- Entidade Proponente:Ciência, Tecnologia e Ensino Superior
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:4147 - 4182
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law updates the rules on academic degrees and higher education diplomas.
What will change?
1. Higher research and development (R&D) capacity will required from higher education institutions.
2. It will be defined that the certification of study cycles that result in doctorates will depend on the existence of appropriate high-quality research environments.
3. The conditions under which the professional experience of students from professional higher education technical courses can be considered in credit score will be extended.
4. The creation of master’s degrees with a normal duration of one year (60 credits) will be allowed, provided that they are strongly market-oriented and are intended only for people who already have professional experience.
5. The creation of integrated master's degrees in situations where there are European directives that require 300 or more credits to practice certain professions will be limited.
6. It will be clarified that PhD R&D activities can take place in any institutions that guarantees sound scientific support, such as companies, technology interface centres and health care units with relevant R&D activity.
7. The certification conditions of study cycles in emerging or multidisciplinary areas in institutions where there is not yet a sufficient number of teaching staff with enough academic qualifications will also be clarified.
8. It will be required that the certification of study cycles depends on the fulfillment of the ratios between career teachers and invited teachers, and the rank distribution among career teachers.
9. It will also be required that the coordination of degrees, masters and doctorates be made by career teachers or researchers.
10. The conditions under which Portuguese study cycles can operate abroad will be established.
What are its benefits?
This decree-law is intended to accept the recommendations of the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) on Portuguese higher education and science, technology and innovation systems.
When does it come into effect?
This decree-law comes into effect five days after being published.