Decreto-Lei n.º 97/2017
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:4663 - 4672
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law defines new rules for gas installations in buildings. The rules cover:
- projects, installation, inspection, supply and maintenance
- appliances fueled by piped gas
- supervision and regulation of activities related to gas installations.
These rules do not apply to the installation of appliances fueled by bottled gas.
What will change?
Rules related to different aspects of piped gas installations are changed.
About the project
It is no longer necessary to request approval for a gas installation project. It is enough to provide a term of responsibility signed by the person in charge of the project (designer), who guarantees that the project complies with the rules for this type of installations.
About the inspection
It is no longer necessary to perform an inspection when:
- the contract holder changes
- the gas supplier changes.
The mandatory inspection (that used to take place every 2 years) now takes place every 3 years for:
- restaurants and other tourism establishments
- hospitals and health services
- any other facilities for more than 250 people.
About the regulation of gas installation activity
The Energy Services Regulatory Authority (ERSE) will oversee the market and regulate the quality of gas installations. The objective is to ensure greater transparency in prices and better quality of services.
The Directorate-General for Energy and Geology (DGEG) is responsible for monitoring the activity of gas installers.
To do so, it will create and manage an electronic platform to track and record activities related to gas installations.
The Directorate-General for Energy and Geology (DGEG) and the Authority for Economic and Food Safety (ASAE) will monitor the compliance with the rules in this decree. Project designers, installers and inspectors who do not comply with these rules may have to pay fines of:
- 250 to 3,500 euros, if they are individuals
- 450 to 40,000 euros, if they are companies.
What are its benefits?
This decree-law is intended to:
- gather legislation that was dispersed and adapt it to the sector's evolution
- simplify the procedures for installing piped gas
- reduce costs for the consumer
- make monitoring and recording activities related to gas installations faster and more efficient.
When does it come into effect?
This decree-law comes into force on 1 January 2018.
The rules regarding registration of gas installations will only apply when the electronic platform to monitor and record activities related to gas installations becomes available to the public. This platform must be operational within 12 months of publication of this decree-law.