Decreto-Lei n.º 139/2019
- Emissor:Presidência do Conselho de Ministros
- Entidade Proponente:Trabalho, Solidariedade e Segurança Social
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:11 - 29
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law establishes the scheme for the implementation of foster care, as part of measures to promote the rights and protection of children and adolescents in danger.
What is going to change?
Always considering the best interests of the child, this decree-law provides that the measure of foster care is preferred when compared to the measure of residential care, especially for children under 6 years old.
The new scheme envisages that the management of the system is carried out by the competent social security bodies, which mission is to carry out information and awareness campaigns to foster families, standardize the application process, select and train the families, as well as to manage the whole integration process of the child or adolescent.
The child or adolescent should preferably be inserted into a foster family close to their original family and social context.
What advantages does it bring?
This decree-law aims to ensure a better integration of the child or adolescent in the families that will receive them. To this end, it considers the specific needs of each child or adolescent, as well as the social context.
The host families are given some support, in particular:
- Non-paid economic support that varies according to the age and specific characteristics of the child or adolescent;
- Access to parental rights under the Labour Code and social protection;
- They may claim social benefits to which the child and adolescent is entitled;
When does it enter into force?
This decree-law enters into force on the day following its publication.