Decreto-Lei n.º 82/2019
- Emissor:Presidência do Conselho de Ministros
- Entidade Proponente:Agricultura, Florestas e Desenvolvimento Rural
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:3060 - 3067
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law establishes new rules regarding the identification of pets in Portugal, through the Pets Information System (SIAC).
What is going to change?
The SIAC is created, a system for the tagging of pets through the placement of an electronic device (transponder).
The SIAC’s aim is to:
- register the animal;
- identify the animal’s owner;
- identify the veterinary responsible for the registry;
- register information regarding the vaccines.
The identification of pets is now mandatory for dogs, cats and ferrets and must be carried out up to 120 days after its birth.
The General-Directorate of Feeding and Veterinary is the entity responsible for SIAC.
The SIAC must be informed, whenever:
- the ownership of the animal is transferred to a new owner;
- the owner’s residence is altered;
- the animal’s accommodation place is altered;
- the animal is missing and/or recovered;
- the animal dies.
What advantages does it bring?
This decree-law concludes the merge of SICAFE and SIRA, with SIAC now ensuring the correspondent purposes, the mandatory national registry and the mean to recover lost animals, ensuring a better accountability of the animal’s owner.
When does it enter into force?
This decree-law enters into force 120 days following its publication.