Decreto-Lei n.º 51/2018
- Emissor:Presidência do Conselho de Ministros
- Entidade Proponente:Justiça
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:2624 - 2625
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law defines rules for:
- allowing applications to the civil registry with documents in foreign languages without a Portuguese translation
- standardising the necessary personal data to register the parents of a child in the civil registry.
What will change?
1. The necessary documents to register in the civil registry can be delivered in:
Whenever the civil registry official understands the language there is no need to deliver a:
- Portuguese translation
- certification of the translation.
To apply for registration with documents written in foreign languages applicants must make an appointment online.
2. To register a child it will now be necessary for the parents to show the citizen card or identity card number. To identify the parents it will be necessary to specify:
- full name
- date of birth
- marital status
- place of birth
- usual residence
- grandparent’s names
- citizen card or identity card number.
What are its benefits?
This decree-law is intended to modernise the civil registry by facilitating the use of documents in foreign languages and the identification of people requesting birth registrations.
When does it come into effect?
This decree-law comes into effect the day after being published.