Decreto-Lei n.º 67/2017
- Emissor:Agricultura, Florestas e Desenvolvimento Rural
- Tipo de Diploma:Decreto-Lei
- Páginas:2979 - 2990
Summary in plain english (Without legal value)
What is it?
This decree-law updates the rules for creating forest intervention areas (ZIFs).
ZIFs are large areas of forest that have several owners but are managed by a single entity that ensures their development and protection.
What will change?
- ZIFs no longer have to submit a specific forest intervention plan.
- Municipalities may manage ZIFs, provided they do it in partnership with associations, cooperatives or companies.
- The plots of land assembled to create a ZIF no longer need to border each other.
- Some of the criteria to create a ZIF have changed:
- the minimum area is reduced from 750 to 500 hectares (from 7.5 to 5 square kilometers)
- the minimum number of participating owners or producers of forest products is reduced from 50 to 25
- the minimum number of assembled plots of land is reduced from 100 to 50.
What are its benefits?
This decree-law is intended to:
- promote the creation of new ZIFs and improve the operation of existing ones
- facilitate the delineation of new ZIFs
- invite municipalities to manage or support the management of ZIFs.
When does it come into effect?
This decree-law comes into effect the day after being published. It applies to:
- ZIFs currently being created
- ZIFs that have already been created, which no longer have to submit a specific forest intervention plan
- ZIFs without a common fund, which must establish one within 1 year.