Decree Law No. 70-A/2021
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 70-A/2021
- Pages: 32-(2) a 32-(3)
Summary in plain english
This decree-law clarifies the rules regarding the guarantee of supply of essential services in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.What is going to change?
Until 31 December 2021, the suspension of the supply of essential services (energy supply, water, telecommunications) is not allowed.
The possibility is granted for consumers to request the unilateral assignment or temporary suspension of telecommunications contracts.
The prohibition of suspension and the possibility of requesting unilateral withdrawal or temporary suspension provided for shall apply when motivated by unemployment, a drop in the household income of 20% or more or by infection with the COVID-19 disease.Who can benefit from it?
Until 31 December 2021, consumers who are unemployed or with a drop in the household income equal to or greater than 20% compared to the income of the previous month:
- a) They shall not be subject to suspension of supply of essential services by the respective providers.
- b) They may request:
- Unilateral termination of telecommunications contracts, without compensation to the supplier;
- The temporary suspension of telecommunications contracts, without penalties or additional clauses for the consumer, resuming on 1 January 2022 or on a date to be agreed between the supplier and the consumer.
The demonstration of the drop in income is carried out under the terms of the decree-law to be approved within 15 days by the members of the Government responsible for the areas of local administration, environment, energy and communications.What advantages does it bring?
- Greater understanding of the rules applicable to the prohibition of the suspension of these services in order to ensure the continuity of the procedures initially established for the first half of 2021.
- Continuity of the basic idea of consumer protection in the current pandemic situation, in a situation of loss of income.
This decree-law enters into force on 11 August 2021, and takes effect on 1 July 2021.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law