Regulatory Decree No. 3/2021
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Regulatory Decree
- Number: 3/2021
- Pages: 7 - 11
Summary in plain english
This regulatory decree creates the animal ombudsman.What is going to change?
The objective of the animal ombudsman is:
- The defence and promotion of animal welfare, encouraging a more effective and coordinated intervention by the State, especially by monitoring the actions of public authorities in complying with the applicable legislation;
- The collaboration with Public Administration bodies, municipal animal ombudsmen, associations, institutions or other entities which object is to promote animal welfare, whenever this is useful for the fulfilment of their mission.
The animal ombudsman is also responsible for:
- Receive complaints and suggestions regarding the performance of public powers in matters of animal welfare;
- Forward to the competent authorities information that it receives about situations that place animal welfare at risk;
- Issue opinions and recommendations, within the scope of its mission and powers, on its own initiative, following complaints and suggestions received, or at the request of the members of the Government responsible for animal welfare;
- Contribute so that animal welfare is considered in the definition and execution of Government and local authority policies;
- Point out any deficiencies in the legislation it identifies, issuing recommendations for its interpretation, amendment or repeal, or suggestions for the drafting of new legislation;
- Inform citizens, economic operators and associations representing animal protection about applicable legislation on animal welfare;
- Develop studies on animal welfare based on the data collected from the competent authorities;
- Propose to the Government the necessary measures to prevent risks that might jeopardise animal welfare;
- Issue opinions on legislative or regulatory acts on animal welfare;
- Promote and collaborate in training, seminars and similar events, in demonstration, information and awareness-raising activities, and in publications on animal welfare issues;
- Prepare an annual report on its activity and on the situation of animal welfare at a national level.
The mandate of the Animal Ombudsman is for four years, renewable once for the same period of time.What advantages does it bring?
This regulatory decree allows any interested party to present complaints and suggestions to an autonomous, exempt, impartial body exclusively dedicated to the defence of animal welfare, which will seek to ensure the best performance of the Public Administration and its adaptation to the best international practices in this area.When does it enter into force?
This regulatory decree enters into force on 26 June 2021.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law