Decree Law No. 46/2021
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 46/2021
- Pages: 6 - 32
Summary in plain english
This decree-law amends the scheme that approves the organic structure of the Institute for Nature and Forests Conservation (ICNF), as well as the Agency for the Integrated Management of Rural Fires (AGIF) and the National Authority for Emergency and Civil Protection, in order to improve the organic framework necessary for the coordinated pursuit of national priorities in the integrated management of rural fires and to improve the quality of public policy on the welfare of pets.What is going to change?
ICNF will now include in its mission:
- The monitoring and supporting of the Portuguese State's international policy in the area of pet welfare;
- The definition of policies for the welfare, keeping, breeding, trade and control of pet populations;
- The promotion of compliance, in national territory, with the European Convention for the Protection of Pets and other applicable legislation on the welfare of pets.
ICNF will now integrate a functional structure dedicated to the area of rural fire management, as follows:
- Five deputy regional managers responsible for the powers in the area of rural fire management;
- Expert-coordinators, experts and junior experts, who integrate the sub-regional coordination units, similarly to what happens in AGIF;
- A specific remuneration statute for managerial positions related to the management of rural fires.
Duly identified ICNF vehicles will be exempt from paying any toll charges on bridges and motorways when they are in direct support of fighting rural fires within the scope of the Integrated Management System for Rural Fires. The terms for the transition of the sub-regional coordination units, expert-coordinators, experts and junior experts from AGIF to ICNF are established.What advantages does it bring?
This decree-law, by establishing new organizational rules of ICNF:
- makes rural fire prevention and fighting more effective, through an integrated and coherent policy of raising the awareness of the various segments of the population with to the purpose of reducing the number and risk of burnings and fires, along with more adequate surveillance and inspection activities in the territory;
- reinforces the role and powers of regional services, which now include the proper treatment of pets, in order to encourage responsible ownership and combat abandonment and overpopulation (e.g. dog packs, uncontrolled reproduction of dogs and cats, animal identification, sterilisation, among others).
This decree-law enters into force on 12 June 2021.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law