Decree Law No. 111/2011
- Issuer: Ministry of Economy and Employment
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 111/2011
- Pages: 5094 - 5100
Summary in plain english
What is it?
This decree-law introduces toll payment on motorways that, until now, were free – known as SCUT (without cost for users) motorways.
What will change?
SCUT motorways are paid from 8 December 2011
From 8 December 2011 the following highways will be tolled:
- A 22 (Algarve)
- A 23 (Beira Interior, between the A1 and Abrantes Este interchanges)
- A 24 (Interior Norte)
- A 25 (Beira Litoral / Beira Alta)
These tolls can be paid:
- automatically – the vehicle has an electronic device (e.g., Via Verde) that allows the payment to be taken directly from the user’s bank account
- pre-paid – the electronic device is charged with an amount, which will be used as necessary (like pre-paid mobile phones)
- post-paid – if vehicle does not have an electronic device to pay for the toll, a photo of the license plate is taken to identify the vehicle; the owner then has 5 days to pay. Post-payment is more expensive than the automatic or pre-paid options.
Those who do not pay the tolls are subject to penalties.
The toll money goes to Estradas de Portugal, the entity responsible for installing and managing the toll collection system.
Special conditions for local populations and companies
Local residents and companies based in the municipalities served by these motorways (see decree-law annex for a list of these municipalities) do not pay for the first 10 trips of each month. After that, they receive a 15% discount.
These exemptions and discounts are in effect until 30 June 2012. From 1 July 2012 they only apply to motorways that serve the poorest regions.
How to benefit from exemptions and discounts
To benefit from these special conditions users must prove that they live or are based in the municipalities. To do this, they must present one of the following documents when buying an electronic device or converting one they already own:
- vehicle registration certificate
- licence plate certificate
- for leased vehicles, a document from the leasing company that identifies the name and address of the user.
What are its benefits?
This decree-law is intended to:
- increase the money generated by motorways
- ensure equality between motorway users – as all the other SCUT motorways are already tolled..
When does it come into effect?
This decree-law comes into effect ten days after being published.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law