Decree Law No. 67/2020
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 67/2020
- Pages: 2 - 19
Summary in plain english
This decree-law ensures the execution and compliance with the measures of protection against plant pests, applicable throughout the national territory.
It also ensures the execution and compliance with the regulations concerning official controls in the area of plant health.What is going to change?
The phytosanitary control measures are updated and reinforced, in order to prevent and combat plant pests and diseases, in particular:
- The Direção-Geral de Alimentação e Veterinária (General-Directorate for Food and Veterinary) (DGAV), as the national phytosanitary authority, is empowered to implement and control legislation;
- The phytosanitary controls of imported plants and plant products are reinforced to prevent new pests and diseases from entering the territory;
- The figure of phytosanitary inspector is reinforced - natural person, with degree or bachelor degree in the area of Agricultural Sciences, belonging to the official services responsible for phytosanitary protection;
- The national reference laboratories and the official ones are created to perform analyses, tests and laboratory diagnostics to the samples collected during official controls and other official activities, which are now designated by DGAV;
- DRAP (Regional Directorates for Agriculture and Fisheries) and ICNF (Institute for Nature and Forest Conservation) frequently perform official controls on professional operators;
- The destruction of a plant species as a plant protection measure necessary to eradicate or limit the presence of a pest is notified by the competent authority and waives compliance with the legal provisions on the killing of protected species;
- New forms of notification of the competent authorities for the application of phytosanitary measures are created and a general obligation is established for those who are aware of the presence or suspicion of plant pests to notify the competent authorities;
- Phytosanitary information to be provided to travellers and postal service customers is created.
This decree-law aims to protect plants from pests, acting on prevention, early detection, whenever possible eradicating those detected in the territory or reducing their presence to an acceptable level.
The activities of prevention and combat of pests and defence of the preservation of plant health prevent the introduction and contamination, particularly of protected areas, by pests harmful to plants and plant products, regardless of their origin.
This decree-law protects agricultural and forestry production and the natural environment, aiming at economic, social and environmental growth and the preservation of biodiversity.When does it enter into force?
This decree-law enters into force on 16 September 2020.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law