Decree Law No. 55/2020
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 55/2020
- Pages: 8 - 17
Summary in plain english
This decree-law implements the transfer of powers to municipal bodies and intermunicipal entities in the field of social action, and also makes the first change in the regulation of the Social Network.What is going to change?
Several competencies of the social action subsystem are transferred to the municipal bodies and intermunicipal entities, in accordance with the general bases of the social security system.
It becomes the responsibility of municipal bodies, among others:
- To provide the social assistance and monitoring service, being able to provide cash benefits in situations of economic deprivation and social risk;
- To accompany the beneficiaries of the Social Integration Income;
- To draft the municipal social charters;
- To implement activities of animation and support to the family for children attending pre-school education;
- To develop programs in the areas of housing comfort for elderly people.
It is the responsibility of the organs of intermunicipal entities:
- To organize resources and plan responses and equipment at the supra-council level;
- To draft the above-mentioned social charters, to identify priorities and social responses at the intermunicipal level.
The municipal social charter is the strategic instrument for planning the network of services and social equipment in order to provide an adequate response to the needs of the population, in conjunction with the priorities defined at national and regional level.
The above-mentioned municipal social charter makes it possible to identify priorities for social responses at intermunicipal level.What advantages does it bring?
Local authorities, due to their proximity, have a fundamental role in the management of public services and in acting more immediately and quickly with the population.
This decree-law reinforces the decentralisation of powers from the State administration to local authorities and intermunicipal entities.
It also makes it possible to provide citizens, especially those living in the neediest situations, with better services, such as better care and more effective responses.When does it enter into force?
This decree-law enters into force on 13 August 2020.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law