Decree Law No. 27/2020
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 27/2020
- Pages: 3 - 6
Summary in plain english
This decree-Law amends the organization of the Regional Coordination and Development Commissions (CCDR).What is going to change?
The form of appointment of the CCDR holders is changed, that is, instead of all being appointed by the Government, as they were until now, the president is now elected by an electoral college, which comprises:
- Presidents of City Councils;
- Presidents of Municipal Assemblies;
- Town councillors and municipal deputies, including the presidents of the Parish Councils of the respective geographical area;
A vice-president is also appointed by election by the presidents of the city councils of the respective geographical area.
The other vice-president shall be appointed by the Government, on the proposal of the member responsible for territorial cohesion, in coordination with the members of the Government responsible for local authority and environmental areas, after non-binding consultation with the president and the other vice-president.
All the members will be appointed by a Resolution of the Council of Ministers following the procedures described.
The terms of office, which until now were five years renewable for the same period, are now four years, with the limit of three consecutive terms of office. The term of office may be terminated by resolution of the Government, in situations such as:
- failure to comply with the objectives defined in the approved activity plan;
- substantial deviation between the budget and its execution, except for reasons not applicable to the holders;
- practice of serious or repeated breaches of the rules governing the commissions or disregard for the management principles established in the applicable laws and regulations.
This law envisages the election of two of the CCDR holders, no longer being appointed by the Government, without prejudice to their continuing to be direct administration bodies of the State. The diploma also establishes that the election occurs during the month of September.
It thus promotes the decentralization of public administration, reinforcing democratic legitimacy at the regional level.When does it enter into force?
This decree-law entered into force on 18 June 2020.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law