Decree Law No. 122/2019
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 122/2019
- Pages: 42 - 45
Summary in plain english
This decree-law establishes rules regarding the transition of lecturers to the University Teaching Career.
The lecturer is a type of employee specially hired to exercise functions of regency of subjects in modern languages, English, German and French, for instance.What is going to change?
- Measures which ensure the stability of the bonds of lecturers hired until 1 September 2009 are approved.
- Conditions for the lecturers to complete a PhD and begin their teaching career are created.
- Their contracts are extended, so that they can complete the PhD;
- The opening of tenders for the introduction in the career in 2019 (for those who already hold a PhD) and in 2026 (for those who shall complete a PhD to that date) is mandatory.
The professors who exercised the functions of lecturer on a full-term or exclusive dedication scheme on 1 September 2009 and who still exercise teaching functions on a fixed-term employment contract.When do the fixed-term contracts signed by the professors terminate?
They terminate after six years, for the professors who still have to complete the PhD. Until then, they are renewed for periods of one year. For those who already hold a PhD, the contracts terminate when the tender that the institutions must open until 31 December 2019 ends.
The higher education institutions support the qualification process of their professors who are currently in PhD programmes.
Career introduction tenders are opened on the assistant professor category:
- For professors with a PhD and for those who obtain the degree of doctor;
- For professors who obtain this degree at the end of the period envisaged for this purpose.
The tenders are open by the higher education institutions, in two stages:
1st: Until 31 December 2019, for the professors with a PhD;
2nd: After seven years from the entry into force of this decree-law.What advantages does it bring?
This decree-law reinforces the employment’s stability and improves the labour conditions of the lecturers of Portuguese universities.When does it enter into force?
This decree-law enters into force on the first day of the month following its publication.