Decree Law No. 116/2019
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 116/2019
- Pages: 2 - 12
Summary in plain english
This decree-law establishes the model for the co-management of the protected areas, which materializes the participation principle of the municipalities in the correspondent management.
The National Assembly decided, upon Government decision, to transfer powers from the State to the local autarchies and municipal entities. In order to put this into practice, it is necessary that decree-laws like this one establish in detail how it shall be executed.What is going to change?
A co-management model to be adopted for each of the national protected areas is created.
It corresponds to the joint management of the territory:
- By the Institute of Nature and Forests Conservation, which maintains the national authority’s powers for the nature and biodiversity conservation;
- by the autarchies;
- by the higher education institutions; and
- By environmental associations.
It is applied to the protected areas which are part of the National Network of Protected Areas (RNAP).What are the powers of the Municipal Bodies?
- To manage the local protected areas;
- To participate on the management of the national protected areas;
- To establish and manage the infractions procedures.
The co-management model is administrated by a Management Committee, which comprises:
- A mayor of the municipalities covered by the protected areas (who presides the committee);
- A representative of the Institute of Nature and Forests Conservation;
- A representative of the higher education institutions;
- Representatives of environmental non-governmental organizations and alike;
- Representatives of other local entities important for the sustainable development of the protected areas.
It is the management instrument of the protected area which determines the strategy to implement, aiming to value and promote the territory.
The co-management plan establishes the measures and actions to develop on a certain period for the sustainable development of the protected area, particularly regarding the promotion, awareness-raising and communication.
The management committee is responsible for, namely, executing the co-management plan, observing its duty to ensure the safeguard of the territorial resources and values of the protected area.What advantages does it bring?
This decree-law ensures the integrity of the territories, creating a sharing dynamics on the valuation of the protected area, and allows a greater proximity to the citizens.When does it enter into force?
This decree-law enters into force five days following its publication and takes effect on the day following its publication.
Regarding the year of 2019, the municipalities which do not intend to participate on the management of the national protected areas, according to the model established by this decree-law, must communicate it, within 60 days, to the General Directorate of Local Autarchies.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law