Decree Law No. 63/2019
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 63/2019
- Pages: 2466 - 2475
Summary in plain english
This decree-law establishes a set of rules on the scientific research and technological development institutions (R&D).
Research and Development (R&D) consists of a set of scientific activities (based on experimental or theoretical works) carried out by institutions belonging to the national science and technology system.What is going to change? The National Science and Technology System comprises the following R&D institutions:
- R&D Units, which are the basis of the national scientific and technological system’s organization. They are engaged in research and development;
- State’s Laboratories, which are public entities incorporated to pursue scientific research and technological development activities (for instance, the Forensic Medicine Institute and the Hydrographic Institute);
- Associated Laboratories, which are a set of R&D institutions which establish partnerships to pursue national scientific and technological policy’s goals.
The R&D institutions may belong to the State (such as, for instance, the State’s Laboratories) or to individuals (which are the private entities engaged in the scientific research, such as the associated laboratories, for instance).
The R&D institutions may disclose and promote the science and technology in the society, namely through the communication and education in sciences.
Ciência Viva [Life Sciences] - National Agency for the Scientific and Technological Culture is the entity responsible to carry out science and technology disclosure and promotion policies.The assessment and funding criteria are established
The State assesses the R&D institutions’ activity, namely their scientific quality and merit and it may grant public funds for the execution of R&D activities deemed as worthy.Human resources
The R&D institutions must have qualified human resources engaged in the R&D activity and integrated in specific scientific and technical careers.
The rules established in this decree-law are not applicable to the military R&D institutions.What advantages does it bring? This decree-law aims to:
- Pursue the public interest regarding sciences and research, through the creation of qualified jobs;
- Reinforce the relationship between the society and the sciences by valuing the sciences’ social recognition.
- Promote and value the Portuguese cultural identity and scientific heritage;
- Encourage the private investment in R&D activities.
This decree-law enters into force on the day following its publication.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law