Decree Law No. 118/2018
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 118/2018
- Pages: 5945 - 5947
Summary in plain english
This decree-law creates an extraordinary supplement applicable to the beneficiaries of social security pensions and of the convergent scheme of the General Pension Fund.
Minimum pensions are the ones below the amount fixed according to the number of contributions’ years.
These comprise the amount to which the pensioner is entitled due to his/her contributory career and a part corresponding to a social supplement.
The convergent scheme of the General Pension Fund is the scheme that integrates all workers which were admitted as State employees and agents and which were registered at the General Pension Fund until 31 December 2005.
A social protection scheme is a system to which the workers make contributions while they work and from which they receive assistance when they cannot work, for health reasons or when they reach the working age limit, for instance.What is going to change?
From 1 January 2019, an extraordinary supplement (amount in cash, granted monthly) is assigned to the beneficiaries from minimum pensions.The following individuals may receive this extraordinary complement:
- Invalidity, old age and dependency pensioners of the social security scheme and of the convergent social protection scheme, who benefit from minimum pensions from 1 January 2019;
- Beneficiaries of minimum invalidity or old-age pensions assigned between 1 January 2017 and 31 December 2018.
The supplement’s calculation is carried out according to the extraordinary updates carried out between 2017 and 2018.Who is responsible for the payment?
The entity responsible for the payment of the extraordinary supplement is:
- The Social Security Institute, in the case of pensioners from the social security system;
- The General Pension Fund, in the case of pensioners of the social protection convergent scheme.
This decree-law ensures a greater fairness on the assignment of pensions, adjusting the pensions’ amounts to the extraordinary updates carried out in 2017 and 2018.
Therefore, the creation of different pensions for pensioners under identical situations is prevented.When does it enter into force?
This decree-law takes effect from 1 January 2019.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law