Decree Law No. 78/2018
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 78/2018
- Pages: 4962 - 4964
Summary in plain english
This decree-law amends the rules on contracts entered remotely and outside of the commercial establishment, in order to comply with the rules protecting the consumers who buy organized tours.
This decree-law also alters some national rules on the remote entering of contracts of water, gas or electricity supply, in order to come closer to the European Union rules.What is going to change? The rules that protect the consumers are also applied to travellers
The travellers are now covered by the rules which protect the remaining consumers on the contracts entered remotely and outside of the commercial establishment.
Therefore, this decree-law foresees that the travel agencies, when entering organized tours contracts, must comply with the rules regarding the information that should be provided online or by phone. Besides, in such cases, the travel agencies must comply with the:
- rules regarding the language (information provided in Portuguese)
- rules regarding the additional payments
- rules regarding the promotion, information or contact services.
A traveller is any individual who enters an organized tour or related travel services contract as a consumer or professional (provided that there is no general agreement for the organization of business travels).What advantages does it bring?
This decree-law aims to:
- protect travellers’ rights
- clarify some rules that protect the consumers
- ensure that the national rules are accordingly to the European Union rules, bringing more security to the consumers and stimulating the economy.
This decree-law enters into force on 1 January 2019.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law