Decree Law No. 47/2018
- Issuer: Presidency of the Council of Ministers
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 47/2018
- Pages: 2563 - 2576
Summary in plain english
This decree-law defines new rules for the rental of passenger vehicles with no driver.What will change?
1. Some rules and procedures related to the rental of passenger cars with no driver included, also known as rent-a-car, will be clarified.
2. There will be similar rules to car sharing, which is the rental of vehicles:
- that are shared between multiple users
- for short periods of time
- for short distances
- with simplified contracts.
Sharing is usually done within cities limits, quickly and simply (for example, through mobile apps).
Car sharing is usually part of short-distance public transport networks in cities.
Short-term and short-distance usage is when the rental does not exceed 12 hours or 100 km before the vehicle becomes available to another customer.
3. These rules will no longer apply to contracts that include services other than the simple hiring of a passenger car with no driver.
These rules also do not apply to:
- long-term vehicle leases (leasing)
- contracts for providing vehicles to share that are not publicly accessible (for example, within a company)
- the rental of vehicles for tourist entertainment activities.
4. The way to calculate the value charged by the provider if the vehicle is delivered with less fuel than agreed will be clarified. It will be defined that this value must be proportional to the costs of fuelling the vehicle with the missing fuel.
5. Some rules on the format of rent-a-car and sharing contracts will change.
The rent-a-car contract does not have to be done on paper, it can be electronic. The sharing contract must preferably be made in electronic format.
In addition, the sharing contract must show:
- the name of the person who provides the vehicle and the person who rents it
- the rules of the vehicle sharing system
- the vehicle’s maximum use period
- the possibility of turning it into a rent-a-car contract
- the price of the vehicle’s rental and other charges for those using the service
- information about the vehicle’s insurance
- any charges related to the fuel used
- information on how to pay.
There must also be an electronic platform where vehicles are rented and information on the service can be consulted.What are its benefits?
This decree-law is intended to clarify the rules and procedures related to car rental in order to:
- simplify contracts that no longer need to be made on paper
- better protect consumers
- ensure competition between companies
- include the temporary rental of shared vehicles under these rules.
This decree-law comes into effect on 1 July 2018.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law