Decree Law No. 117/2017
- Issuer: Environment
- Diploma Type: Decree Law
- Number: 117/2017
- Pages: 5367 - 5372
Summary in plain english
This decree-law defines new rules to impose fines on those travelling on public transport without a valid ticket or pass.What will change? It will now be possible to voluntarily pay fines to the transport companies
Those who pay a fine immediately or within 15 working days will pay only half the minimum amount. To do this, the fine must be paid in one of the following ways:
- pay the conductor on the spot
- pay the transport company within 15 working days at a service desk, ATM or online.
Fines for traveling without a valid ticket or pass are:
- 120 euros to 350 euros, in general
- 250 euros to 700 euros, for inter-regional and long-haul trains.
Traveling on public transport without a valid ticket or pass is considered less serious in the following cases:
- when the passenger has a pass but did not validate it at the beginning of the trip
- when the passenger has a pass but it is in such bad condition that it makes it difficult to verify its holder or whether it is valid
- when the passenger has a ticket but did not validate it when boarding for the second time on the same trip.
Fines are reduced:
- if it is the first time the passenger travels without a valid ticket, the fines are:
- 30 euros to 87,5 euros, in general
- 62,5 euros to 175 euros, on inter-regional and long-haul trains.
- if it is not the first time the passenger travels without a valid ticket, the fines are:
- 72 euros to 210 euros, in general
- 150 euros to 420 euros, on inter-regional and long-distance trains.
This decree-law is intended to make the system of fines applied to those who travel on public transport without a valid ticket or pass more flexible and balanced. Also, it aims to make users take the monitoring of public transport travel more seriously, in order to:
- reduce the use of public transport without valid tickets or passes
- facilitate the management of public transport systems
- ensure greater justice for those who use public transportation and the companies that manage them.
This decree-law comes into effect the day after being published.
Legal translator is the translation of texts within the field of law